Office of External Affairs
"Weight-Loss for Life:
NewYork-Presbyterian Center for Obesity Surgery"
"Vascular Disease Update 2004: Innovative Treatments for Challenging Problems"
The mission of the Office of External Affairs (OEA), under the leadship of Mehmet C. Oz, MD, is to increase awareness among healthcare consumers and referring physicians regarding the services, facilities, and programs offered by Columbia University's Department of Surgery. Founded in 1991 by Executive Director and Chief Communications Officer Deborah Schwarz, RPA, CIBE, the OEA has won awards for its multimedia approach, which encompasses print materials, online education, direct mail campaigns, print, radio, and television advertisements, as well as special events planning and management.* Read about our OEA staff.
Specific services offered by the Office of External Affairs include:
- Announcing the arrival of new clinicians
- Promoting new treatment modalities
- Producing educational literature on conditions, procedures, or practices for patients
- Introducing referring physicians to practices
- Creating educational materials for referring professionals
- Administering Continuing Medical Education Seminars
- Developing or upgrading websites, with audience-specific content and multimedia tools
- Scheduling physicians for Speakers Bureau bookings at regional hospitals
- Initiating press interest in new clinical protocols
- Publishing newsletters targeted at either consumers or health-care professionals
- Creating promotional videos or CD-ROMs
- Coordinating "value-added" promotions, such as branded pens, patient risk assessments, free screenings, etc.
In addition to offering outreach services on an "as needed" basis, the Office of External Affairs develops strategic communications initiatives. For these initiatives we work in conjunction with physicians to create comprehensive, coherent marketing campaigns that include branding, patient- and physician-education materials, website development, advertising, continuing medical education programs, targeted patient and physician outreach, and other innovative communications approaches.
Executive Director, External Affairs
Chief Communications Officer
|NJ Office Phone||212.304.7810|
|NJ Office Fax||212.304.7822|